Friday, September 28, 2012

Tomato Basil Creamy Vegan Pasta

In my quest to be a healthier, happier me, I have found many wonderful recipes I love that are healthy and very delicious. This recipe is one of my favorites and I love to make it as often as my family will eat it(which is quite often). This year we planted a garden and have been having lots of tomatoes that we don't know what to do with so this is my fall back. This recipe is courtesy of VeganYumYum.






Healthy Habits ~ Tomato Basil Creamy Vegan Pasta
Serves two

RECIPE:

  • 1 Large, ripe tomato (2 cups roughly chopped, 1 1/2 cups blended)
  • 1/2 Cups Raw Cashews
  • 1 Tbs Tomato Paste
  • 1/4 Cup Water
  • 2 Tbs Olive Oil
  • 2-4 Cloves Garlic, minced, optional (I always add it)
  • 6 Ounces (ish) Whole Wheat Spaghetti (I used fettuccine in the photo but prefer whole wheat spaghetti)
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 2-3 Tbs Wine or Water, Optional 
  • 1-2 tsp Freshly Cracked, Coarse Black Pepper
  • 1 Large Handful Fresh Basil Leaves, Chopped
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
  2. Core the tomato, then roughly chop it. Add it to your blender, seeds, skin and all. Add cashews, tomato paste, and water. Blend until very smooth.
  3. Add olive oil to large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute until golden, being careful not to burn. Once water is boiling, add pasta. Pour sauce from the blender into the saute pan and bring to a simmer. Add salt and let cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  4. If desired add wine/water to thin out the sauce (I recommend doing this). Taste and season more if necessary. Let simmer until pasta is finished cooking. Once pasta is cooked, drain. Add pasta to the saute pan with black pepper and freshly chopped basil leaves. Toss to coat. Serve immediately, garnish with more pepper and basil.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds amazing! I have all the ingredients, might have to try this sometime this week!

    ReplyDelete